Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapter 7


Happy Hunger Games! If you’ve been following along we’re in chapter 7 this week and what a cliffhanger! Before we dig in, let’s recap last week’s discussion.

Chapter 6 had two main themes- plot twists and goals. We have established that Collins is the master of the plot twist. There are more loop-de-loops in this lady’s bag of tricks than a roller coaster at Six Flags. If you’re not on the edge of your seat by now you should probably just put the book down and doom yourself to a life of Nicholas Sparks marathons. Moving on…Jennifer made an excellent point about maintaining goals in each chapter. As writers we need something to push us forward into the next scene. As readers, we need a reason to keep reading. Interesting thought- what happens when the plot twist becomes the goal or vice versa? On to chapter 7!

The chapter begins with a subtle reminder of where we are on the timeline. I would agree with our heroine. It is hard to believe she’s only been in the capitol for two days. I found the banter between Katniss and Peeta quite amusing and slightly confusing. Would anyone like to take a guess why they would argue over why the other person has a better chance at winning? Speaking of which, I must admit I was having a bit of fun on the training floor with them. If I wasn’t reminded every so often that they are actually training to maliciously kill each other this would seem more like a sport or an actual game. Perhaps I’m just wishing I’d paid better attention when the Olympics were on…

The last few paragraphs were flawlessly brilliant- so much so that I actually read ahead to chapter 8. I am hopelessly addicted now. Katniss has solidified herself as a chick with guts and determination. She is impulsive, hot-tempered, and fearless; the marks of a true fighter. Fist pump! Let the games begin!

Things I pondered:

  • Rue’s entrance into the story is captivating. Is she part of yet another plot twist? What role will she play in the games and how will she affect Peeta and Katniss in the arena?
  • The mental challenges of maintaining the appearance of unity is fascinating. Peeta and Katniss have been ordered to remain inseparable and clearly it’s draining them. The irony in all this is that it’s actually pulling them closer together. While they can’t see it yet, they are forming a bond that will greatly help them survive when they get to the arena. I hate the capitol a little less than I did a few chapters ago. Could there be a method to their madness?
  • Even after skipping ahead to chapter 8, I’m still finding it hard to put the book down. Collins is superb at leaving us in total suspense. Remember what I said in the beginning about the goal becoming the plot twist? To be continued…
Have you seen the movie yet or are you planning on watching it after you read the book? I am curious to know if you would like to incorporate a discussion on the differences/similarities between the book and the movie. Any thoughts? Until next week! May the odds be ever in your favor!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherry, Rue was one of my favorite characters. And I agree with your assessment of the training period, although I never forgot they were about to face death. But the training scenes did help to lighten things a bit.

The whole novel took place over a relatively short period of time, don't you think? As a writer who often adds romantic elements into my novels, I often worry if I've given the two characters time to connect and fall in love. And yet, I've read a few books that covered shorter periods and managed to bring about that wonderful finding true love moment flawlessly. Interesting enough, in the ones I'm thinking of, the heroine and hero knew each other previously.

Post a Comment