Monday, August 20, 2012

Chapter 6


Happy Hunger Games! I hope everyone had a blessed weekend. Today we're in chapter 6 but before we dive in let's look at last week's discussion...

Last week we discussed outward beauty and its emphasis on our culture. We agreed that our society has glamorized beauty so much so that we have failed to validate the inner beauty. It’s not all about good looks and it’s a very convoluted message we are sending to our daughters.

Today in chapter 6 we take a look at another sticky topic-guilt. Katniss meets an avox and immediately recognizes her. When she realizes that she may have been a reason for the girl’s presence guilt becomes the newest dinner guest. We are drawn into the scene and fully aware of everything Katniss witnesses when the girl is taken away by hovercraft. Collins does an excellent job of making us a part of the story, feeling all those conflicting emotions. What will happen if I try and help her? Are the consequences worth the risk of getting involved? Will I ever see the girl again?

When I think of this scene I am overcome with my own issues surrounding guilt. There have been times when I could have interceded but chose to remain hidden in the background. There were times when it was easier to allow circumstance to unfold without causing interruption. Time has taken place the way it was meant to and I am the bystander who did not interject. What have I learned from remaining quiet?

Another issue I took note of was the pampering the tributes are receiving during their stay at the capitol. I am intrigued why such lavishness is expended on people that are preparing to die. Is all this extravagance for the benefit of the tributes or the wealthy sponsors in the capitol? I can’t help but see a twisted spiritual side to this situation. The wealthy line their pockets and their bellies with all things decadent. Meanwhile they are dying inside. Peeta makes the statement, “I would leave.” How many of us would leave our current state of comfort and security in exchange for inner peace and serenity?

Things I pondered:
·        Effie seems completely oblivious to her own sickness. She accuses District 12 of barbarism while preparing her tributes for murder. How many of us prepare our children for life in the world without ever giving them real, helpful tools for survival?
·        Katniss’s sense of powerlessness resonates in my spirit. Is her inability to help worthy of the guilt she feels? Is her guilt justified or is she being too hard on herself? Is there ever a time when it’s too dangerous to get involved?

That’s all for this week! Next week things heat up when we get a little closer to the arena. See you on Monday!

6 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

I haven't read the book, but I'm still getting a lot from your analysis. In fact, I'm going to wait till you're done with all the chapters, and THEN read the book.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm late to the party. :)

One thing I noticed in this novel, not just in chapter six, but throughout, was the clear presentation of character goals in each and every scene. Actually, there's a large goal and numerous mini-goals to take us to the large goal.

This is an important point. Exceptional writing presents a clear character goal in *ever scene*. If you don't know your scene goal, chances are, your reader won't either. And if they don't know the goal, how can they root for the outcome?
But just when I was about to give up hope, hope arises.

we know the big goal--survival. The mini-goal now is gaining sponsorships. Notice how everything, every page and chapter, furthers the story either by helping move Katness toward her goal or standing in the way of it.

Also notice, although the overriding goal is enough to keep us engaged, the author continues to plan questions in our mind--questions that keep us reading.

On page 77, Katness encounters another girl--one she recognizes. This immediately hit my radar and I wondered if the author was setting up a plot twist. I wondered if this girl might possibly help Katness escape.

This question helped keep the novel from becoming predictable.

I have a sticky note on my printer to remind me of the importance of unexpected twists. The note says just that: "unique twists."

I believe writers would do well to spend time, pre-writing, to brainstorm unique ideas. I believe they would do well midway through to pause and prayefully brainstorm unique twists. When they get to the ending, I think they'd do even better to spend a great deal of time finding a unique ending. It's hard to do, but the result is a delightfully unexpected story.

Finally, I wanted to point out the exceptional hook at the end of this chapter. I don't think I can type it here for copywright reasons, but read the last line of ch. 6 again. Makes you want to keep reading, right?

Unknown said...

Interesting concept, mini-goals. We have the big picture and then we have the smaller, more subtle picture to keep in mind as well. Katniss's well-being depends on sponsors which are vital to her survival. It's a brilliant strategy to keep us reading to the next page. The plot twist at the end of the chapter was fascinating and disturbing and completely engaging. Yes, I do want to read more.

Unknown said...

Interesting concept, mini-goals. We have the big picture and then we have the smaller, more subtle picture to keep in mind as well. Katniss's well-being depends on sponsors which are vital to her survival. It's a brilliant strategy to keep us reading to the next page. The plot twist at the end of the chapter was fascinating and disturbing and completely engaging. Yes, I do want to read more.

Rita said...

I haven't read Hunger Games. But it is on my to-read list. I enjoyed your analysis, the book just moved up higher on my list.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rita! I appreciate the support!

Post a Comment