Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chapter 3


Chapter 3

We may as well call this the Gifts and Goodbyes chapter because that’s basically all we’re witnessing at this point. There is a smattering of new characters introduced and a few scenes we would rather forget. Before we go any further, let’s recap on what we discussed about chapter 2.

  • Last week we decided that everyone is a hero. The residents of District 12 in particular seemed to shine almost as bright as the tributes simply because of their obstinacy.
  • Speaking of District 12, we liked that they helped us affirm in our minds that Peeta is indeed a likeable guy. It’s almost like they are the backbone of this operation, working behind the scenes to help the good guys win just by association.
  • We also decided that these first two chapters summon up a very broad range of emotions and feelings. We’re angry at the capitol, sad for the situation our heroes are in, and emotionally charged for Katniss and Peeta. We want them-need them to succeed.

The first thing I noticed about chapter 3 is the sharp contrast between the capitol and District 12. We are getting a glimpse of two entirely different lifestyles and it’s jarring to me. How can one part of the country live so decadent while the other starves to death? Katniss enjoys the feel of velvet; she eats so much that she gets sick to her stomach. These are things she is completely unfamiliar with. Now suddenly she is thrust into a world she must adjust to as she processes the fact that soon she will fight for her own survival.

We also become familiar with the mockingjay, a symbol that would appear important to me. Somehow I think Collins planted this bit of information in our minds for a reason. Will it be useful later?

Things I pondered-
  • The attitude is incredibly somber- Katniss says goodbye to her friends and family, receiving gifts from people she did not expect to see at all. Have you ever accepted a gift from someone you never thought would cross your path? How did you feel after receiving the gift?
  • Again, there is a dividing line between the way Katniss treats her mother and the way she treats her sister. She can no longer hide her resentment but is wise enough to remind her that underneath all that anger, love still lives.
  • We get a rough idea of what the games are truly like to witness and participate in. The battles are gruesome, vicious, and cruel. Was it really necessary to describe so graphically how children were chosen to die in sport? I am conflicted with these scenes because I see them from both writer and reader’s perspective. Details might be necessary to give us a sense of the brutality used. Yet something tells me our own imaginations could probably do the job just fine. We are given enough information about the capitol and the way it operates to draw our own conclusions. What do you think?

That’s all for this week. Come back next Thursday when we dive into chapter 4. A side note- school is starting next Wednesday. That means I’ll have more time to write on other days of the week as well. Look for new blog posts unrelated to our HG discussion.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

7 comments:

dandelionfleur said...

Am really enjoying your analysis!

Di Smith said...

The relationship between Katniss and her mom kinda nagged at me. I wanted to know more, but Collins wouldn't deliver.

That's part of the author's magic, I think - in some ways she gives us enough to intrigue, but not enough to satisfy, while in other ways (as you mention) she gives us more than we can stomach, but we just keep on swallowing.

The balance between the Capital and District 12 was brilliant. Jarring. Stirring. And convicting.

Anonymous said...

I too was apalled at a reflection of our society, that we are so drawn to violence as entertainment, in this case violent death. Couldn't help but think of ancient Rome, the coliseum, the horror that must've been for the fictims. Has our society really degenerated to this level...really? Must be if so many thousands of copies sold so far. Imagine how gory the movie would be, no don't. I wouldn't want to go there either. Sure then, a comment like this from an avid football fan - Packers of course, elivating that kind of violence as entertainment - see what i mean. Wow, God give me grace...

Unknown said...

@Lisa-thanks, that means a lot!
@Diana-I agree but only slightly. I see so much of me and my mother in Katniss and hers that details are not really necessary for me. That said, a little more depth would probably be ok.
@fictionbypalmer- I had to laugh because although I hate violence in movies and in general I am a huge hockey fan! Somehow I think we're talking about two separate issues, right? Violence in sports is to be expected. In real life with real people, it's just alarming. In this scenario it's downright disturbing. I actually did see the film and they were gracious enough to tone down the gore. We got a glimpse of what it's like to compete in the Hunger Games but this was once instance when I'm glad the details were left in the book. As for football- Go Niners!

Anonymous said...

Terry, my thoughts traveled in a similar direction, and I thought of our realty television, extreme cage boxing, and other things that often make me cringe. I do think in many ways, yes, our society has been desensitized to violence and in many ways, need greater intensity to keep their interest. (My take, anyway. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone with my opinion!)

I was very tempted to put the book down at this point. Katness' plight seemed hopeless, I feared the games would be too brutal, and quite frankly, my heart just couldn't take the intensity and sense of hopelessness. I continued reading because I'd committed to this discussion.

Here are my thoughts on why the writer did this:

First, I've heard during interviews she said she wanted it to be intense because she wanted her reader to understand children around the world in war-ravished areas in many ways live this. And that is true. Last year at an orphan fundraising dinner, we learned of an orphanage in Sierre Leonne that didn't have enough food for their children, so they'd set what they had on the floor and let the children fight for it. And maybe that is why this novel discouraged me ... because I know, although fictionalized, their is a thread of truth to the theme and plot.

Now, from a writer's perspective--and from a writer who tends to write intense novels. Intensity is okay. (Although there were numerous times I found Hunger Games a bit too intense, and like I said, I'm not sure I would've finished if not for this discussion.) Our readers want to feel, but we need to remember, they can only handle so much doom and gloom. As writers, we need to be consciously aware of this, looking for ways to break up the more intense scenes with humor or lighter scenes.

In many ways, Collins did this with the descriptions of the capital and the people in it. The capital and its people were so unique, it allowed us to temporarily forget Katness was about to fight to the death with children. But even in the "relief" scenes, she reminded us what was at stake. (Although personally, I would have preferred a bit more.)

I would also say, we must remember this novel was written for the secular audience who are accustomed to increased violence and shock value type material. I believe that also influenced some of Collin's scene choices--some that bothered me immensely, which I'll discuss when we get there.

What about you? If you write novels dealing with intense issues, do you consciously try to include lighter scenes or some sort of comic relief? I know some authors will craft an eccentric character that pops in and out when a bit of relief is needed. I like to sprinkle in humor.

For me, the novels I most enjoy are those that:
1) Are unpredictable
2) Are believable
3) Are filled with action not bogged down with narrative
4) Have surprised twists
**5) (I starred this as it's the only point relevant to today's discussion)--evoke a range of emotions.

Anonymous said...

Diana, I agree with your thoughts on mom. I thought this was going to be Katness' arc. (I'm not sure she really had one. Anyone think different?) I would have liked to see something along those lines.

Di Smith said...

I've had some discussions with people about the intensity of the violence, and some fingers wagging in my direction because I allowed my twelve-year-old son to read the HG series.

My comeback (after reading all three novels)? Collins has a REASON for the intensity. Her message(s) are intense and gripping, and apply directly to the younger generation. Sure, she could have toned it down, but it's that shock value that wakes the reader from their slumber.

Not for everyone, mind you, and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone who thoughtfully avoided the novels due to sensitivity. As writers, we *do* need to be sensitive to our readers, but as you mention Jennifer, the secular YA audience swallows intensity more smoothly than other audiences. And IMHO the message justifies the means of delivery.

Now, justifying violence in hockey and football? Don't even get me started... ;)

Post a Comment