Friday, June 22, 2012

Skin Deep

June 21, 2012
Not long ago I came across a story that I have not been able to get out of my head. It featured an eighteen year old model with a dark secret. Underneath that flawless complexion was a severe case of acne. Speaking directly to the camera as if talking to an old friend, she demonstrated the step-by-step process she used every morning to cover up her blemishes. Starting with a clean, make-up free face she shared her secrets to attaining the appearance of perfect skin. The transformation was remarkable! Despite the fact that the video lasted more than hour, it went viral and eventually made the news. Apparently teens will go to any lengths to hide their imperfections. Because I still battle the blemish war even in my 30s, this subject got me thinking. Wouldn't it just be easier to treat the problem rather than continue to cover it up?


I recently learned that someone close to me had been hiding her own dark secrets. For years this person had  been covering up a huge part of herself, hiding behind a thick layer of self-preservation. When the truth finally came out I was stunned and heartbroken. I thought we trusted each other. I thought we knew each other. A couple of days later when I was able to simmer down we talked. We truly listened to each other's thoughts and feelings and gained a new understanding of how the other person operates. I learned that when a person hides behind a layer of betrayal, it's because significant damage has occurred and needs to be dealt with. I also learned that trust is a precious commodity that cannot be taken for granted. My friend learned that sometimes it's ok to take off the mask and just be real. When all the layers are stripped away it's always easier to get to the grime beneath the surface. 


I know the problem won't get fixed overnight but I also know that we're making a lot more progress without all those extra layers holding her hostage. Interesting thing about that teenage model with acne. A face full of pimples couldn't hide the fact that she was still beautiful. 

5 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

Powerful thoughts.

Di Smith said...

Amazing post, Sherry. Loved your last line especially.

Anonymous said...

What courage it must have taken this girl to share this! And look at the result. You said the video went viral. I think the same thing happens when we become authentic and openly share ourselves, blemishes and all.

Shortly before we moved, I was asked to perform a monologue and speak at a woman's event. I shared some deeply personal things, and it was hard. But I was amazed at what God did later. Afterwards, women who went to the event sent sent me messages, approached me, etc, and through that, God showed me their heart--how they *needed* to hear what I shared. By me sharing publicly, it freed them to unveil their hearts. And it bound us all closer together. :)

Catrina Bradley said...

You will touch people on BoTH side of the deep, dark secret with this post. Tears.

Unknown said...

Interesting perspective, Jenn. I had not thought of it that way. Cat, thanks for your comment. I have a bad habit of making you cry, don't I? ;)

Post a Comment